Tuesday 28 June 2011

NICU Life is HELL!

For those of you that have never had to be there. . . Let me tell you. . . NICU life is no fun. Being in hospital is bad enough with out getting sleep, being roused out of bed every three hours to go feed the baby, not being able to have the baby room in with you. . . and then the icing on the cake was being discharged before your baby! I was stuck in a "care by parent" room, which I was told was so I could stay near my baby. I was treated so rudely by the nurses of the MAT ward as I was "no longer their problem" and they routinely forgot my meals.

I do have to say though, that the NICU staff was great for the most part. The only thing that really bothered me was the girl who looked about 13 years old, with no children of her own, trying to tell me how to  nurse my baby. Hello, I have done this before. I will smile and nod so you walk away, and then close the curtain around me and MY baby, and feed her the way that I want to feed her. If she falls asleep on the first boob, I will let her sleep! I will not wake my baby, if she is hungry, she will wake up and let me know. argh!

I can say that I am sooooo happy that I was only in there for a week with each one of my girls. I have so much respect for the parents of multiples and preemies that do that for months on end! They are some of the strongest people I know! I only got a glimpse of what life is like for you all, and I will say again how strong, brave, and amazing you all are!

Time to go home! I am sick of this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment